Baked Zucchini Recipe by Alexx Stuart
Baked Zucchini is a featured recipe from Low Tox Life | by Alexx Stuart.
WHAT YOU WILL NEED (TO SERVE 6-8 PEOPLE):
- 2 oven trays
- 8 medium sized zucchini
- 3 tbsp dukkah (make your own or store bought)
- 1 pomegranate (cut in half and bashed face down into an empty bowl to de-seed, with a rolling pin)
- 1/2-3/4 cup labne OR fresh goat’s / sheep’s milk curd OR leave out for dairy free variation
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup toasted almonds (almonds toasted at 180 for 15 minutes. Your favourite nuts other than almond are fine too)
- 1/2 chopped mint
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- juice of half a lemon or lime
- salt and pepper to taste
WHAT TO DO:
- Preheat oven on 180C
- Cut all the zucchini long ways in half, leaving the tips on.
- Lay them out along 2 baking trays, inside up.
- Drizzle with the olive oil
- Bake for 20-30mins until tender – squeeze them gently and if they squeeze a little to the touch, they’re cooked.
NOTE: Do not salt them for roasting. It will make them soggy and draw too much moisture at this stage.
Then, either warm or cool depending on what you’re after mood-wise, arrange your zucchini halves in your presentation tray.
Sprinkle all your ingredients along the zucchini to the level at which you want to adorn them. I love generous flavours, so I use quite a bit, but if you like subtlety, you can sprinkle less.
I do dukkah then herbs, then curd, then almonds, then pomegranate. Then I season and squeeze a little hint of citrus along the dish for a bit of zing and a final drizzle of olive oil if you feel you want to.
Plate look messy around the edges? Grab a paper or tea towel and wipe around the edges to clean it up.
Enjoy this baked zucchini recipe!
Alexx is the author of Low Tox Life. She is an avid researcher and recipe creator. Her food philosophy is “Keep it real. Keep it unrefined. Try for organic as much as possible, and in terms of diet, I’m a big believer in eating what’s right for you.” This baked zucchini dish so delicious, light, rich and fresh all at once and is one of Alexx’s favourite ways to do a 2 zucchini for herself, all ingredients reduced, for 2 simple mid-week meals with 2 different accompaniments for variety during the week when working from home.
“You’re also left with something that – while being ridiculously simple to assemble – is a show stopper that crowds love and people think you’re an amazing cook for producing.” – Alexx Stuart