The microbiome is a complex combination of all the good and bad bacteria yeast fungi that lives within the gut.
We are a tube inside a tube. Skin on the outside and gut on the inside. This gut is essentially exposed to the outside environment – its open at the mouth and the anus.
The body has many ways to protect the environment within – starting with the saliva, the mucous of the nose and mouth, the stomach acid.
We are born with a unique combination of ‘friends’ that survive within us. These little critters are the good or ‘pro’ biotics that inhabit the gut and skin and work to protect us, breakdown our vitamins and help absorption, clean up the garbage and keep us in balance.
Here is a beautiful simple video that visualises this….
These beautiful organisms all work together to maintain a balanced ‘compost’ of internal milieu.
So what has gone wrong, in practice I would estimate 80% of my patients would have reflux, heartburn, bloating, constipation, gut pain, diarrhoea, bloating or gas on a regular basis.
Processed food, stress, nicotine, coffee/tea (especially on an empty stomach), gluten, wheat load, sugar, and dairy all contribute.
So do an overgrowth of H.Pylori, Blastocystis, Dientamoeba, E-coli, streptococcus. These organisms can be tested, some tests are simple and covered by medicare, some are more expensive. If you are eating a clean diet and still having symptoms its good to test. I like to know what I’m dealing with.
5 ways to balance your microbiome and heal the gut. Weed, Seed and Feed. Just like a garden.
- 1. Remove the overgrowth of bugs, or the parasites that shouldn’t be there.
- 2. Use good quality probiotics with prebiotics
- 3. Eat a clean diet – eliminate processed food, stress, nicotine, coffee/tea (especially on an empty stomach), gluten, wheat load, sugar, and dairy.
- 4. Stimulate stomach acid and digestive enzymes when you eat. Lemon in water is a simple way.
- 5. Sit quietly, chew your food, relax and digest your meal.